Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Failed Internship? Or, an Opportunity for Growth: Part 8 - New Beginnings

From the beginning of time, humans of all cultures have recognized certain numbers as having greater significance than others. Some cultures have understood these differences in terms of power. Some see numerical differences in terms of luck. And some cultures view these differences as symbolic, yet potentially prophetic.

Think about our culture. What comes to mind when you see the number 13? Unlucky, right? Due to the superstitions surrounding this number, many buildings do not have a 13th floor and Friday the 13th is a well known anti-holiday. Another number that catches people's attention is 666. This is known to be a Biblical number pointing to anti-christ. Occurrences of this number have, at times, provoked some to fear an impending cataclysmic end to the world. Some cultures do not know or understand the background and circumstances surrounding their symbolic numbers. Joe Plumber can not tell you where or when 13 became an unlucky number. Even 666 may be inaccurate. Due to a possible manuscript error, the number 666 may have replaced the original 616.

In ancient Hebrew and early Christian history numbers played a major role both prophetically and symbolically, and more importantly these cultures understood the significance and background of each number. One of the most well known numbers is 12. There were 12 tribes of Israel. There were 12 disciples. There will be 12 gates by which to enter the New Jerusalem. This number signifies rule and governmental authority. Another important number is 3. This is a number of substance and completion. This is the number of the trinity, the number of festivals in the Hebrew calendar, and the number of divisions of the Old Testament. Other numbers familiar to the Christian faith are 7, 40, and 666 (or 616). But there is one other major number found in the Bible: 8.

This is the 8th and final post concerning my internship with Wormwood Church in Kansas. The number 8 is a very important number in the Bible. This is the number of new beginnings. The flood is a prime example of this idea of new beginning. Early in man's history, God's wrath and judgment was poured out on all mankind in a devastating, worldwide flood. Noah survived the waters with his wife, his three sons, and their wives. There were left 8 total survivors to begin a new era of human history; a new beginning to mankind.

Prior to the flood, in Genesis 1, God created the heavens and the earth in 6 days, rested on the 7th, and the 8th day was a day of new beginning. Day 8 marked the end of the creation cycle and the beginning of man's reign on the earth. Logically, the eighth day of the week stands in correlation with the first day of the week. When day 8 of the week arrives, the new week begins. Christ was crucified on day 6 of the week marking the end of his work, enjoyed heaven with the Father on day 7, and rose from the dead on day 8. The resurrection of our Lord and Savior marks the most important new beginning for Christians.

From post number 8, I move on to a new beginning in my life.

A major period of my life has come to an end. On this day, I celebrate a new year in my life, my 23rd. As I look back, I have spent 22 years learning, growing, and training. After 12 years of school, 4 years of Bible college, a year at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, and my first official church internship, I am now ready, at the age of 23, to begin the work for which I was made. I begin a new life focused on Arab culture, life, and relationships. I begin studying Arabic and interacting with a whole new world of lost people. This is not to say that I have no plans to finish my masters and work toward a doctorate, but these degrees will be more focused than any schooling that I have done thus far. Jesus and missiology will be the goal of all my education from this point forward.

This is my new beginning.

As the 8th day marks the new week, the 23rd year marks the new epoch of my life.

1 comment:

Chris Rosebrough said...

I would like to interview you on my radio program regarding your internship at Wormwood (Aviator?) Church.

You're experience and your story are important for the greater body of Christ to hear.

My program is entitled Fighting for the Faith and my name is Christ Rosebrough.