Friday, August 14, 2009

Failed Internship? Or, an Opportunity for Growth: Part 2 - En Gedi

North Carolina is my En Gedi.

In Song of Solomon, the writer compares his wife to the blessings of a place called En Gedi. In the midst of the desert of Israel, there was a desert oasis called En Gedi. Mark Driscoll paints this picture of En Gedi: "It was this amazing oasis of fresh water, trees, fruit, life. It was a wonderful place to be. It was a place of rest, refreshment, and juvenation."

North Carolina is my Sabbath.

You may not believe it, but it is true. God created everything in six days; on the seventh, he rested. This is an example for us to follow. Following periods of intense and exhausting work, God allows for us to rest and relax. Sometimes the Lord does not move as we would expect. There is a mammoth-sized task ahead of me: two years of language learning and building relationships in the mountains of Africa. Obviously, I am not the all-knowing One. It seems that He who does know all has granted me a sabbath rest preceding an upcoming task.

North Carolina is my next step.

There has been an inexplicable peace in my spirit since yesterday when I made the decision to go home. I find it interesting that there were times in Paul's ministry that God closed the door. God on a number of occassions did not allow Paul to enter Asia. This was probably for his own good. There clearly is a reason why I have not been permitted to continue in my present ministry. As the door has closed, I see the merit in refreshing and re-preparing for the years ahead.

I can not imagine Paul's struggle as he traveled to Troas in Acts 16. Not only did he spend those months traveling 500 miles through difficult terrain, but God was silent throughout the journey. Paul made the decision to take the gospel to Asia and twice God said no. God did not come and explain himself. God did not automatically present an alternative. God did not do what Paul wanted Him to do. I wish Acts 16 was less ambiguous concerning these events, I feel like there is a lot I could learn from Paul as he struggled to reestablish a connection with God.

Just as this time of pain was pivotal in the life of the apostle Paul, so the closing of my own door has been a clear growing time for me. In the end, God knew best for Paul and I consider myself blessed to see a glimpse of God's plan well before I conclude my long journey (though unlike Paul, I am flying by plane).

There is much prayer to be done.
There is much Bible study to be done.
There is much rest to be done.

I now have the opportunity to return to Wake Forest, NC and Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary where I belong.

Two months are an unexpected gift.

No comments: