Sunday, July 12, 2009

Man Up or Go Home

American Christianity is all about the status quo. We can "do church" together as long as you keep what you believe and I keep what I believe. Don't get in my face. Don't challenge me. Don't ask me hard questions. I'm here to do my own thing.

Yeah, because that's precisely what Jesus taught. Jesus taught for three whole years, suffered the worst death in history, bore man's sin, and went on a "vacation" in hell (I Peter 3:18-21; we can argue this one later) so that we could keep our ear-tickling religion to ourselves. Jesus, if he had thought of it before Jefferson, would have added "the pursuit of happiness" to his teachings in the sermon on the mount. Jesus never really wanted to make any changes, but, rather, just wanted to affirm those nice pharisees in their synagogue attendance.

Jesus laid down his life in direct rebellion to the status quo. And by status quo, I mean wearing a bright, cheery smile to church Sunday morning only to place a target on your waitress' back at lunch. By status quo, I mean excommunicating those really excited Christians who just go too far with all that Jesus stuff. By status quo, I mean the habit mankind developed in the garden. You know, the one where we rebel against everything God ever said. Yeah, that habit kills way faster than smoking (both deadly, of course).

This rebel, Jesus, would not fit in with our church folks. He spent too much time serving the people that your church members turn their noses at. This is the guy who brings to your recollection last Sunday's sermon when Monday comes and you've already proven that you slept through the message again. He is the guy who calls you out when you're not doing things God's way. Jesus would not make it in our church.

Call me a rebel. Call me a fanatic. Call me arrogant, if it makes you feel better. Call me whatever you want, but this is the Jesus I follow. Like Him, I want to speak grace when grace is necessary. Like Him, I want to speak the hard truth when the hard truth is what is needed. I move around a lot, but wherever I go I fully intend to challenge the status quo with the claims found in the Holy Bible. Welcome to accountability. In the end, we will all be held accountable. But trust me, you would rather have me hold you accountable now than Jesus later. My authority comes from Scripture to ask you the hard questions. He, on the other hand, has the authority to drop the hammer: "Depart from me, for I never knew you."

So now its up to you, Mr. Church Member. I recommend you man up. Its possible that I am not saying you're wrong, but its possible I am. All I am asking is that you check your heart. All I am asking is that you check your methods. All I am asking is that you check your message. Maybe you're doing awesome; the Bible teaches me to edify you. Maybe there's work to do; are you up to the challenge?

So will you take the challenge? Will you allow iron to sharpen iron? Will you accept a rebuke from a brother or keep looking for kisses from the enemy? We can be friends or you can ignore me until I move on to go somewhere else. You can ignore my greetings, my invitations to hang out, and my inquiries. But the challenge is on the table and I implore you to man up. Man up for your sake. But more importantly, man up for the sake of the body. Man up for Christ.


No comments: