Friday, January 23, 2009

Rick Warren Is Alright With Me

Ok, so I'm not the most patriotic of Americans. It's true that I didn't watch the inauguration the other day. But looking back over the speeches on youtube, I found one video that made me very thankful for the nation that I live in. This opening prayer refreshed a gratitude for not only a free nation that many "reformers" and "protestors" sought in the chaos of the 15th, 16th, and 17th centuries, but for the God who has so richly blessed us. I have not always spoken kindly of Rick Warren and of this I repent. The more I grow in wisdom, godliness, grace, and brotherhood (not to say that any of these areas are even close to being locked down) the more I appreciate men who truly love God even though they may not do things the way I would.

Rick Warren prayed to God on behalf of and before an entire nation. Furthermore, this prayer was not ambigous by any means. He quoted Deuteronomy 6:4, where Moses says, "Hear, O Israel! Jehovah is our God, Jehovah is One!" He concluded his prayer honestly and lovingly acknowledging Jesus Christ. He prayed in the name of the One who changed his life, Jeshua, Isa, Jesus Christ.

I am very thankful for men who stand up in public and declare the name of Jesus Christ. I greatly desire to stand and give glory to Jesus' name whenever called on and before any who listen. God bless Rick Warren and may Jesus Christ richly bless, and transform :), the administration of our new president, Barak Obama.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Amen, brother. Well put. I think we could all do well to show more grace and compassion to other brother's and sister's in Christ, even when we may not see eye to eye on how they do what they do (I've been learning the same lesson with Mark Driscoll...)

All that to say, preach that word!