Friday, March 19, 2010

I am NOT a Poet, But...

I am the servant running to Elisha,
"Alas my master! What shall we do?"
Fear invades when I have forgotten
that there is nothing under the sun new.

From Aram come legions of troops
poised to take my life and liberty,
"O Lord," prays the master, Elisha,
"open his eyes that he may see."

Chariots of fire arrest my gaze
consuming the mountainside,
A great and glorious army
ready to uphold the will of Adonai.

The battle rages, a battle I cannot see,
yet I know the greatest battle is raged in me.

"The Lord loves justice and
forsakes not His godly ones."
Each day they are stolen away,
husbands from wives, fathers from sons.

A battle against flesh and blood
we do not fight,
but whispers of the enemy
that deceive in the night

On the battlefield in Eden,
his first victory won,
but for the prize of the upward goal
we continually press on

The battle rages, a battle I cannot see,
yet I know the greatest battle is raged in me.

Anger rises at the thought
of good men waiting in jail,
fear at others deported
from which there is no bail.

Intimidation, the beast that
prevents our friends from gathering,
The neck of Christianity
the authorities seek to wring.

Even now it is for Jesus,
to be like him I yet fight,
to have compassion, grace, love
and to eternally shine my light,

The battle rages, a battle I cannot see,
yet I know the greatest battle is raged in me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Keep fighting the good fight, brother.
Lifting you up during this time!

Anonymous said...

You are a poet but you do not know it;)

Faith My Eyes said...

Dear Mr. Anonymous,

Thank you for your encouragement... I like your rhyme :). I can rhyme too, its the rhythm that I'm never sure about.