Sunday, December 20, 2009

Back To The Future

The city far behind, one last peak was now visible through the break in trees ahead. I pressed on knowing that my legs would soon receive rest while I waited for the others. Only a few days ago had this noon rendezvous been set and, for once, I was early. Soon enough we would be together again with plenty of time to relax and eat lunch before the shadows crept away into afternoon.

Stepping out from the tree line, I was stunned by the hot African sun. Already warm from the trek, I unzipped my outer coat to release the extra heat. Just a few hundred feet away, I could see where may next break would be. Yet, this welcomed rest would come hand in hand with the knowledge that the cold did not linger far behind. At this altitude the sun's warmth would prove to be the only solace from the cold, mountain air. And only that morning had I left home wearing a t-shirt. Thankfully, I had possessed enough foresight to pack warm clothes as well. Four months into the job, the air was becoming warmer with each trip into the mountains. Summer would soon arrive to lighten our packs from the burden of cold weather gear.

Laying down my pack, I leaned against the bulky main sack to enjoy an astonishing view below. Even after making this trip countless times, the valley had still not lost its luster. Given the opportunity, I could sit for hours admiring the creative work of these rolling hills and sounds of far off sheep as they grazed in solitude. Opposite me sat another range hidden in a rain cloud of mystery. All morning rain had threatened from the south, but had not yet overtaken the sun. Enshallah. The Lord wills it. A little rain would not spoil my day or my joy. If there was one lesson I could learn living with Muslims for the past 15 months, it would be the reality of God's sovereignty and its implications for my life and attitude. This is an area of agreement for Christians and Muslims. Jesus prayed in this way, "Abba, Father. Take this cup from Me. All things are possible for You. Yet not My will, but Your will be done."

Soon enough, they would emerge from the trees below. I had not seen my partner, Luke, since leaving for the visa run. A break was good and Barcelona beautiful, but there was much work to do before leaving for our long-awaited vacation to Madagascar. When we left the apartment last week, I set off for Spain while Luke made the trek to Achmed's home.

More than ready to see both Luke and Achmed, I squirmed impatiently as the sun passed from its direct position overhead and began to weave new shadows. Closer than brothers these two had become to me. Luke and I often stayed with Achmed. In fact, this was how the relationship began. That first trip into the mountains had been miserable. The December cold, unbearable. The snow, nearly impassable. Those first villagers, impossible. We had been faithful to spread Gospel seeds broadly while seeking our first man of peace. But the rejection mounted with each new village we entered. After three days of moving from village to village, the Lord led us to Achmed.

Achmed, our first man of peace, after hearing the Message, insisted we stay the night. Then the next. And the next. It was a week of intense Bible study and discipleship. We left Achmed still a seeker, but so very close to relationship with Jesus. We took three days to trek home to rest, make contact with our prayer partners, and submit our regular paperwork before making a beeline for Achmed's small home. This second long, snowy trek we took with joy knowing that the Lord was moving.

Seeing from a distance, Achmed ran to meet us. He immediately sat us down, in the snow, and shared everything. He was elated with joy and more than once we had to ask him to slow down his Arabic just so we could understand. God had used a vision, he explained. Jesus came to him in a dream and simply said, "You can trust them." In two days he had read all the way through his new Bible. He truly believed and wanted to follow in the footsteps of Paul. And Silas. And Timothy. His excitement would prove to translate into action. Achmed began joining us as we traveled to neighboring villages seeking more men of peace.

Soon after, we met Muhammed and Aimen. Just as we often stayed with them, these three would come to the city and spend time studying and praying with us in the apartment. With the help of these three, we had been to every village on this range multiple times. Many new seekers had been identified and three small groups had been started. To this point, Achmed, Muhammed, and Aimen were the only known believers in the area, but the five of us often spent time together praying for God to sweep across the mountain like wildfire.

Faintly, I heard voices. Sure enough, coming up through the woods were Luke and Achmed, and Muhammed had joined them. Today we were moving on to a new work. A new range. A new challenge. The journey ahead was long, but we had determined long ago that every moment of the journey would be to the glory of God. Besides, there was much to talk about. God had been moving while I was gone...




I often find it hard to understand what I can not see, hear, or touch. For you who are faithfully praying, I understand how difficult it is to not fully fathom how best to pray. This story has not yet happened, but your prayers can make it a reality. With day one approaching, December 29th, this is the vision for which Luke and I pray. Please join us as we pray for God to move and to honor the faithfulness of His people whom He has redeemed.

2 comments:

Cara said...

Nice writing - I was picturing the scene while reading! Aaaaaand I LOVE THE PART ABOUT THE MADA TRIP!!! *big smile*

Faith My Eyes said...

You would! I don't know if we could stand to look at ourselves in the mirror if we didn't make it to mada, and malawi for that matter, to see you, heather, and lauren :)